Toys are children’s best friends since a very early age. What do you gift when a baby is born in your family or friends circle? Toys. What do you gift on the birthdays? Toys again. Your children are more inclined towards buying toys when they go out shopping than clothes or books. But toys should not be considered just as a source of entertainment for kids because they can help in more important aspects in the child’s development. Our little explorers learn by doing things and can develop and practice new skills while playing. We feel that choosing the right toy is a cake walk but are overwhelmed when we see the large array of toys at the shops.
Things to consider while choosing good toys
1) Age Consideration : Toys are very specific to the age group of the children. We need to check that the toy we are buying is suitable for the child or not. It is always advisable to buy open ended toys so that the child can use it for a longer time and it keeps him engaged too.
2) Safety: Sometimes toys can pose a threat to the safety of the child and it is very important to check that before buying one. Babies try to explore every new thing by tasting it. And that can be unhealthy. The sharp edges or bad quality of the products can be hazardous as well. I bought a toy for my little one that was a Pokemon ball and furry animal sticking out of it. I failed to anticipate that the hair from the toy could potentially reach my little one’s mouth.
3) Aids in developing skills: Toys help a lot in developing skills for the children like hands and eye co-ordination, fine motor skills, cognitive and memory skills, language development etc. That is why I would say, playing time should be taken seriously because it can help a lot in teaching new skills. The right set of toys help a lot in learning and development.
4) Similar types of toys: The shops these days are flooded with similar types of toys. They all promise to help in growth and development of the kids.
5) Limiting gadgets time: Gadgets should not be introduced at a very early age. The screen and harmful radiations are bad for children under the age of two. After they cross two years of age, the gadget time should be limited. And instead more time should be devoted to games which involve physical movement or problem solving. This helps in overall development of the child.
6) Offering a few toys at a time: This would help them focus on a few. Offering too many toys at the same time will distract them. Also, if the child has different toys which are of similar type, do not introduce all of them at once.
You may feel that choosing the right toy is not an easy task! Some brands like Skola keeps all these issues in mind before designing toys. They research extensively on learning and development of children and offer the toys based on their findings. Will be sharing more about Skola Toys and how they are helping in the journey of child development in my upcoming posts.
You may like reading :
‘I am taking My Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter‘