Being mothers, our foremost priority is the health and nutrition of our babies. We are all sorted out till six months till our babies are only fed milk but as soon as they hit the six month mark, our real ordeal begins. What should we feed them? Will they be able to digest it? And if we have fussy eaters, it gets difficult to create a new recipe everyday. Then comes the question of feeding cereals. There are so many school of thoughts. Some moms start with ready made cereals and some skip it and directly start giving vegetables and fruit purees. And some give homemade cereal.
I came across the recipe of this homemade cereal. It is easy, convenient and very healthy. As it is made at home, no preservatives are required. This cereal can be the perfect choice for the babies because it is loaded with nutrition.
White Rice : 1 cup
Moong Dal (Yellow petit lentils) : 1 cup
Split Green Moong Dal : 1/2cup
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) : 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds : 1/2 Tbsp
1) Wash the ingredients (except the cumin seeds) and let the dry in the air or sunlight (Separately)
2) Once dried dry roast them separately in a thick bottomed pan till for 5-10 minutes and keep stirring the ingredients. Cook until you can smell the aroma of roasted pulses.
3) Let them cool down a bit and dry roast the cumin seeds. Mix the roasted cumin seeds with the roasted mixture.
4) Once they have cooled down, grind the mixture into fine powder.
5) Store it in an airtight jar for use.
How to cook the Homemade Cereal
1) Take a cup of water and 1 tbsp powder to it.
2) Mix the powder in water and make sure no lumps are formed.
3) Cook this mixture at a medium flame for 5-10 minuted depending upon the consistency desired.
4) Serve after checking the temperature. And an easy homemade cereal is here ! It looks a lot like sooji halwa, but of course tastes different.
- Add desi ghee or butter before serving.
- Can serve with curd as it enhances the taste.
- Cooked vegetables can be added to the cereal only after vegetables have been introduced to the baby.
- Vegetable purees can also be added to this cereal.
Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments below. I would love to hear your feed back once you try this recipe.
You may also like :